The Tower of Babel

A recent article┬átalked about the Burj Dubai tower that is still in construction, a tower so tall that the construction workers’ walkie-talkies actually stopped working because of the distance between them. People have jokingly referred to this in-the-works tower as the modern day Tower of Babel┬ábecause of the communication failures.

So the question becomes, is it? At least, that’s the question I’ve been asked to answer. Is the Burj Dubai a modern day Tower of Babel, and is it therefore a mistake?

Of course, in order to say that the Burj Dubai is repeating the mistakes of past generations, you’d have to believe that the Tower of Babel was a mistake. I don’t. Maybe it’s just me, but that story has never made very much sense to me. I couldn’t quite understand what was so bad about putting family conections and friendships before an order to basically take over the earth. Why would it matter if the people settled in one place at first? Obviously, they would eventually have run out of resources and needed to expand, and so they would have spread out over time. Why did it matter that they expand now rather than later?

Anyway, like I said, I’m going to have to take some time to respond to this article, and I’m not ntirely sure how I’m supposed to say whether or not the Tower of Babel’s “mistakes [will] be repeated by future generations” when I don’t even think that Babel was a mistake. I guess I’ll have to figure that out.

It’s probably worth mentioning that, although I do study the Bible and various other religious texts from myriad faiths, I don’t really believe in any of it. So naturally, I have a little bit more difficult of a time treating the less logical sections with the seriousness needed to write essays on them, so there’s only one thing for it.

Practice, practice, practice.